Lessons were learned

You may remember I did a little experiment last week with some sun catcher paints. Well the results are in with some mixed results.

Firstly, greaseproof paper is a no-go, as the liquid made it crinkle so I ended up with some thick bits of paint and some wafer-thin bits. The thin bits cracked as I tried to peel them off the paper.

IMG-20200711-WA0002.jpg

Also, I didn’t realise the pen I used would transfer to the paint. Pencil only from now on.

The clingfilm fared much better, and this is the method I’ll use next time (yes, there will be a next time) because it didn’t warp so the thickness was universal and the circle peeled off easily.

IMG-20200711-WA0001.jpg

My only issue with this one is that the paint layer is so thin it’s barely visible when hanging in the window.  Next time I’m going to try using some kind of boundary, maybe a cookie cutter, so I can build the paint up thicker without it spreading out everywhere.

Conclusion: my experiment sort of worked, and it definitely helped me refine the process so next time it should work better. I’m happy with that!

Hannah

xXx

Catch the sun

Since we’ve actually had some sunshine recently, I decided to have a play with one of my birthday presents from last year – a dragon sun catcher.

20200624_213055.jpg

It came with its own set of paints of course, but Mum knows me well and bought me a set of extra colours to play with.

20200624_213009.jpg

Here’s my finished dragon hanging in the window to catch some rays.

20200710_192528.jpg

There was a lot of paint left over and it would be a terrible waste to just throw it away, so I did a bit of experimenting.

I taped down some clingfilm and greaseproof paper, and made some designs with the leftover paint.

Neither turned out exactly as I imagined, but I still like them so fingers crossed they actually peel off the backings in the morning. We shall see!

Hannah

xXx