WIP Wednesday 28.08.19

Current WIP count: 8

Remember earlier this year when I only had 2 WIPs on the go? That was a good time.

There was a slight snag with the Lego blanket when I realised I somehow had one skein of Rose Red and two of Tomato Red for it.

Reds

Of course I had already made bricks with the Rose and sewn them into the blanket so it wasn’t as easy as simply switching to Tomato. I very briefly considered using them both and mixing up the placement, but the perfectionist in me just can’t do it so brick-making is on pause until more yarn arrives!

This does mean there has been quite a bit of progress with the sewing together part.

One day I’ll take this thing outside and get a proper photo

I wanted to get a rough idea of size so I completed the top and left sides first, and now I’m filling in as and where I feel like it. This one will have a ring of bricks around the edge before the border, which I didn’t have time for with my Dad’s version, so it should end up a generous sized lap blanket.

Feels like I’m making good progress with this (despite the yarn setback) and I’m really enjoying it!

Hannah

xXx

Brick by brick

When me and my siblings were younger, Dad used to lay a duvet down on the floor and empty out two crates of Lego onto it. We would sit on that duvet for hours at a time, building and deconstructing and rebuilding over and over again. My favourite was making a house with the bricks in proper bricklaying formation, with one red and yellow window that opened and clicked shut.

So there’s always been a strong connection in my mind; when I see Lego I think of my dad. Of course I had to translate that into crochet. I present for your viewing pleasure one finished Lego blanket.

This project is particularly special to me (aside from the fact that I made it for my dad) because it’s entirely of my own devising. I designed the bricks, I created the layout, I worked out the border. It’s all mine! I mean I’ve designed things before obviously, but nothing on this scale.

20190323_090314-1.jpg

It’s made of 198 individual bricks, joined with the magical mattress stitch. I even included some little half bricks.

20190323_090239.jpg

The border is an extension of the brick pattern, to try to make it look like one of those big base pieces I always used to build my Lego houses on.

20190323_090217.jpg

As much as possible I used up bits and bobs of acrylic from my stash so it’s difficult to say exactly how many skeins went into making it. They were apparently all chunky yarns, but the thickness varied so widely that I had to double up with some of them.

20190323_090304.jpg

One day I’m going to make another one using just one yarn brand, and oh how easy that will be!

Stats:

Size – 90cm x 150cm

Yarn – Paintbox Simply Chunky, Hayfield Bonus Chunky, unknown deep-stash

Material – 100% acrylic

Hook size – 5.5mm and 6mm

Stitches – hdc and bobble stitch

Hannah

xXx