At the weekend my boyfriend and I tackled the Box Room of Doom. It’s been my dumping ground for years, and had reached the point that I was reluctant to even open the door in case I saw what a mess it was.
But we (well mainly the bf – I got a migraine halfway through) smashed it:
And once that mountain turned out to be a little molehill that only took a couple of hours to sort, I well and truly caught the clear-out bug. First I sorted my CDs, and DVDs. Then my books. Then my papercraft supplies.
And then it was time to face the stash.
I didn’t realise just how much yarn I had until it was piled into a heap on my living room floor.
First of all I sorted it by fibre groups: cotton, acrylic, natural fibres, and mixed.
Then I sorted each category by weight.
And then a final sort by colour, because I can never resist a rainbow.
Then I put the whole lot into an Excel spreadsheet so I can track it.
I still don’t really have a good storage solution for my yarn so it’s mainly in cardboard boxes at the moment. But at least it’s now in cardboard boxes in some semblance of order, I know what I have in there, and I should be able to find what I’m looking for pretty quickly.
Now I just need to decide what I’m going to sort out next!