One of those days

I’m just going to sit and play computer games tonight because I don’t think it’s safe for me to attempt any more making.

First, I came to put aside sleeve stitches on the Good Old Raglan and realised I’d done the increases COMPLETELY wrong. There were 4 increase lines equally spaced around it, rather than the correct spacing for sleeves and body. I tried tinking back but then couldn’t work out where the stitch markers should go (thanks to some short rows at the neck) and ended up frogging the lot to start again.

New progress pic

Then it was time to start the prep for sourdough pizza so we can have it tomorrow. I measured everything out and thought it was a lot, but told myself it just seemed like a lot because I’d halved the recipe last time.

Turns out I hadn’t noticed there was a wee tip of a butter knife under one corner of the scales so all the measurements were completely off. You’d think I would have twigged when it used up nearly a whole bag of flour, but noooo.

My dearest hope is that all the measurements were off the same amount so it’s just a lot of useable dough, rather than a waste of starter and so much flour. There’s only one way to find out.

So I give up on today. Hopefully I’ll get my mojo back tomorrow.

Hannah

xXx

How many times do I have to be told??

Don’t. Knit. Tired!

Because I always end up doing silly things like this:

I missed the knit stitches between two cables, and didn’t even notice until I got to the next cable round. I do so wish I’d noticed earlier because this yarn does NOT like to be tinked. That was a painful four rounds.

But it’s all sorted now and I’m on to the home stretch of ribbing. I really can’t wait to get this finished so I can snuggle up in it at my desk while I’m working.

Hannah

xXx

Monday make

Despite having to tink and redo the final section THREE TIMES, I finished my Changing Staircases at the weekend and it’s now looking beautiful on my blocking mat.

20191007_224115-1.jpg

Also slightly weird because I ran out of pins, but never mind.

I’m looking forward to wearing this baby soon. Although with it being scarf weather in Scotland right now, it might take a while to dry out.

This project taught me that I still have no concept of how knitting uses up yarn. I was sad because I thought it would have to end on a lacy section, which I didn’t want because I can just see it catching on everything. But then I got to the end of that section and still seemed to have a bit of yarn left.

I figured it was better to have a row or two of stockinette than nothing so I skipped the ‘cast off stitches’ step and knit across. Then purled. Then knit. Then purled. I was 6 rows in before realising that the yarn was going much further than I expected and I could get a-whole-nother plain section out of it. So I tinked back, cast off the stitches and did the section again.

And after all that I still had enough left to cast off, with this long a tail to sew in.

20191007_224418-1.jpg

I never would have called that in a million years! It seems I need to do a LOT more knitting so I can start to get a feel for these things.

 

ETA: this is Changing Staircases, a free pattern by Dragon Hoard Designs on Ravelry.

Hannah

xXx

WIP Wednesday 03.07.19

Current WIP count: 7

Welcome to July, everyone!

After leaving my Flax Light in the naughty corner for a few days, I managed to tink back to my mistake without too many issues. Now I’m chugging along with it again, this time counting the purl stitches every time I hit the panel because I am NOT making the same mistake twice.

20190703_072940.jpg

I’m also trying very hard not to think about the fact that I have to do this all over again for the other sleeve, otherwise it might turn into one of those UFOs you shove in a drawer and forget about for five years. Could I start a trend for one-armed jumpers, do you think?

Changing Tides has fallen behind again, thanks to a super busy couple of weekends. And also me dragging my feet a wee bit because I know another week of pebbles is coming up and they take aaaaaaages.

But I did particularly enjoy the last section I worked on. The shell stitches are pretty and I’m definitely using this blue/yellow colourway for another make at some point in the future.

Ooh what about a baby blanket using the same pattern? I think that would look cute.

Anyway I’d better not add another WIP to my list just yet – I really need to get some of the current ones to FOs first!

Hannah

xXx

Oh…fiddlesticks.

That’s almost what I said when I realised that I’d added in some extra stitches to the panel of my Flax Light. About 10 rounds ago.

I know the sensible advice I would probably give someone else – Nobody will notice when you’re wearing it. That just makes it more unique. And so on.

But I’m not taking my advice right now. I think I used up all my ‘ignore the mistakes’ energy on the missed purl rows, and I just can’t leave this one be.

So please pardon my French while I sit here tinking rows and rows of work because of one silly mistake.

Oh well, at least I noticed now and not when it was all done and blocked!

Hannah

xXx